Monday, May 16, 2011

How do you decide?

I don't know how it is where you live right now, but here in Ohio it has been WET WET WET!!!  And not only that, but we have had temperature changes like crazy! Last week one day it was in the mid 80s and today it has not hit 50 degrees!!!!  Dressing the kids has been a nightmare too! One day they are wearing shorts and flip flops and the next I have to bundle them up in jeans, sweatshirts and jackets!  I don't know if that is the deal or what but our 15 month old has seemed pretty sickly the past couple of days. I am talking snot like I have never seen before. Uggggggggggggggh! How can one child even produce this much mucus in one day?! Gross! I am debating if we need to take a trip in to the pediatrician or if I should wait and see how he gets in the next couple of days.

I always worry about looking like the psycho, over protective Mama who takes her kid in every time he sniffles but I also hate to not do anything and then it end up being something that he needs to be seen for and then I beat myself up thinking had I taken him when the symptoms first started, he wouldn't have gotten so bad. Sometimes being a parent is so hard!

How do you decide when it's time to go see the Doctor or to just wait it out at home?!


  1. My suggestion would be to call the pediatrician's office and ask them. I'm sure they're seeing a lot of other kids with severe allergies. Or, wait a few more days and see what happens. I'm always on the "err on the side of caution" front, so if the baby really seems sick, then I'd take him in. On the other hand, if he just has a lot of mucus, it's probably allergies. Now that he's old enough to have been through allergy season once, he is able to have allergies. My ped. told me they can't have them til they go through one season, so assuming that is true, I guess he could have some pretty bad allergies, or a cold. Fever? That would be the one thing that if he has a fever, take him in. I know what you mean, though, it's hard to know. My daughter was potty training and didn't want to so she told me it hurt to go pee. I freaked out, took her right in, and of course, she was fine. Little stinker. Good luck!

  2. We live in Ohio too and I've had it with the weather. It doesn't even seem like spring time, does it? I was so nice when we had that warm spell for awhile. What makes it worse is that I'm having a summer event on my blog and I can't even try out the biggest prize because of the stinkin weather!

    Anyways, sorry about your baby. I know my doctor won't prescribe something until Luke has been sick for at least a week. If it is just a runny nose and cough I try to wait it out but if it's worse I go ahead and take him in. It's better safe than sorry I think. And your not crazy!

  3. I usually call, then bring them in. Late winter I decided to wait it out. We were all sick. I waited too long! Mica ended up having a double ear infection and bronchitis. Isaak had an ear infection. If your son does end up on antibiotics give him some probiotics to go with them. I'm a firm believer in them.


I love comments!! Thanks for taking the time!