Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Home Sweet Home

As I shared with you all last week, we took off on Friday for one last weekend before the kiddos have to start school. I feel super bad that we didn’t get to take a big vacation this year because of my hubby’s new job so I really wanted to be able to get away from home even if it was just for a few days. I think getting those breaks are so important……we become so bored in our regular routine that it’s just necessary to get away sometimes! It was a busy night before we left as I scrambled to get everything packed up and ready to go. I made a new recipe that night for homemade chicken strips too and it was super yummy! So yummy, in fact, that I had to thaw out more chicken because they were gobbling it up so fast!! lol

Back to my story though…..

I love going to my in-laws because the kids find so much to do there! At home it’s hard to drag them away from the video games and the television but they don’t have all of those things at Grandma and Grandpa’s so they are forced to do other things. My in-laws have a big pond and the kids LOVE to fish there! When we got their on Friday, I don’t even think they went inside….they went straight to the garage to dig out the fishing poles and within minutes, they had already caught a fish!!! They also love to ride 4-wheelers and just chase each other around the big yard!!

Even Aiden wanted to fish.......of course this fishing pole we gave him had no hook or anything on it. lol Half of the time he didn't even put it in the water!

We chose a good weekend to go too because on Thursday night, my brother-in-law was admitted into the hospital. He is my husband’s little brother and only sibling. He has had juvenile diabetes since the age of 8 and now at the age of 22, he is starting to have some severe complications from the illness. When he was admitted last week, they made the decision to go ahead and start dialysis because his kidney function is so low. He will also be going on a transplant list very soon to hopefully receive both a kidney and pancreas transplant. This would eliminate the diabetes for him and finally let him have a normal life…..I cannot imagine living so many years with such an awful disease. He received 2 dialysis treatments while we were there visiting and it made him very tired but we were still able to visit several times so that was good. He will now have to continue the dialysis until the transplant is complete and he has to do it several times a week. Ugh. How awful.

My mother in law and I also managed to get some major shopping done while we were down there!! We went and got all of the kids school supplies and new clothes for school. We shopped until my 8 year old daughter dropped. I have decided that none of my kids can keep up with us so next time, we should probably go shopping alone. We are pros after all!

On Sunday evening, we were all tired and ready to come back home. I was especially excited to come home and just relax. I am really picky about when we are going to leave the house for longer than a day and I made sure the house was super clean before we left! All of my laundry was done and the house was clean and the trash was all taken out. We had also unplugged almost everything and turned off the central air. I just wanted to come home and do NOTHING! When we walked in, I was the last in line and I could hear the kids and my hubby gasping at what that “Awful smell was.” Oh no is all I could think. I did everything possible to make sure this house would be perfect when we got back home and I could not imagine what that horrible, awful smell could be. It was the WORST smell I have ever smelled in my life. I was seriously hunting the house for a dead animal, that’s how bad it was. After a short time hunting, Andrew found where the smell was coming from. Read back up to the first paragraph where I talked about our chicken strips being so yummy that I had to thaw out more chicken……. Ugggggggggggh. I had thawed the chicken out in the microwave and forgotten all about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG it was so gross!! The kids and my hubby were laughing hysterically as I gagged and practically vomited as I tried to get the chicken out of the microwave and safely out of the house. All I can say is EWWWWWWWW! It was NOT the homecoming I was hoping for and it took FOREVER to get that awful smell out of my nose! We grabbed everything in sight to get that smell out…….candles, our Scentsy warmers….I even caught my hubby going through the house spraying my expensive Victoria Secret Body Spray all over! *lol*

Needless to say, I am happy to be home but boy did I ever learn a lesson!!!! Thanks for your patience as we get back into the swing of things. I have a lot of giveaways still lined up to come your way but I am also getting my kids ready to start school next week and all 3 are now playing soccer so life is CRAZIER than ever! I wonder if things will ever be “normal” around here?! Heck, what am I thinking. This IS normal for us!


1 comment:

  1. Wow wht a crazy week u had. some good and some not so good. wish your brother in-law the best of luck in getting his transplant and with his dialysis until then.


I love comments!! Thanks for taking the time!