Tuesday, April 3, 2012
Spring is here and what better time to do something good for our environment?! April 22nd will be the 42nd anniversary of the celebration of Earth Day and this year the main focus will be to continue building the environmental movement and engaging new environmental activists around the globe. I learned through the Hormel Food Blogger Program that 80% of Hormel Foods' product packaging is recyclable and/or made from recycled materials which I just think is AWESOME!!! In 2009, a half-inch in height was removed from each Jennie-O Turkey Store turkey burger carton, generating an annual paperboard savings of more than 68,000 pounds! More information on Hormel Foods’ package minimization efforts can be found HERE!
Here are some simple ways you and your family can help the environment!!
• Plan an eco-friendly picnic! Skip paper plates and bring along utensils and dishes from home. Pack products that are known for their eco-friendly and sustainable packaging. One example is Hormel® Natural Choice® deli meats. As part of its commitment to be 100 percent natural inside and out, Hormel® Natural Choice® deli meats now has recyclable packaging made of 100 percent recycled material and they are the only national brand that features 100 percent recycled packaging.
• On your next trip to the grocery store, avoid the plastic by bringing along a cloth, reusable bag. Not only are they inexpensive, but they are a lot stronger than regular plastic bags!
• Take a shorter shower or brush your teeth without running the water. Not only will you reduce water consumption, but the energy costs associated with heating the water.
• Contribute to an online campaign through the Earth Day Network! There are also plenty of opportunities for you to volunteer on the actual day in your communities! http://www.earthday.org/take-action
• Last month, Hormel introduced a brand new eco-friendly package for Hormel™ Country Crock® sides!
This new “in-mold” package design replaces the paper sleeve, placing the printed information directly on the tub, which saves more than 8,500 trees a year! Try one of the newly introduced flavors that include cheesy diced potatoes, four cheese penne pasta with broccoli, bacon ranch mashed potatoes, au gratin potatoes with bacon; and mashed sweet potatoes.
What will you do to make a difference this year?
*This post has been written as a part of my participation in the Hormel Foods Extended Family Blogger Program. All opinions are my own*
Posted by Sarah Lewis at 2:07 PM