I am still on the lookout for this year's PERFECT summer treat and I am having a ball trying all of these new things. I have 4 eager taste testers always available saving ME from having to eat them all myself. HAHA! So today I have for you, Cupcake Sandwiches aka Cupcake Poppers! I found this recipe on the back of a Betty Crocker Cake Mix and I couldn't resist!!!! They are so bright and fun and they taste GREAT! If you are looking for an awesome summer treat for the kiddos, look no further!!
Your favorite box of white cake mix, prepared (Or you can use your own recipe)
Neon gel food coloring
Mini Cupcake Pan/Liners
Icing (Store bought or make your own)
* Prepare cake mix as directed
* Divide cake mix equally between 4 separate bowls
* Using the gel food coloring, color each bowl of cake batter a different color
* Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake as directed on box (Ours took 8 minutes). You should be able to bake 12 mini cupcakes of each color for a total of 48 mini cupcakes. Don't overbake or your cupcakes will lose their fun colors and turn brown. Boo! I learned the hard way!
* Divide icing into 4 bowls and using gel food coloring, color each bowl of icing to match each color of cake batter
* After cupcakes have cooled, cut the bottoms off of each one as we will only be using the tops. (Yes, you have permission to eat the bottoms or do whatever you want with them. You can use them for cake balls to eliminate waste!)
* Spoon a small amount of the coordinating icing between 2 cupcake tops of the same color. i.e. Use the green frosting for the green cupcakes, pink frosting for the pink cupcakes, etc.
And ENJOY! These are such a colorful and fun treat that you are going to LOVE!!!!